Thursday, August 21, 2014

This Is What it Feels Like

Edmund Lee once said, "Surround yourself with the dreamers and the doers, the believers and thinkers, but most of all, surround yourself with with those who see the greatness within you, even when you don't see it yourself."

BYU was that place for me. It was a place in which everyone was trying to not only do better but to be better. We learned and then we went out and did. Most importantly, you always had people to believe in you even when you did not believe in yourself. I learned more than I could ever have asked for. I learned in the classroom, from others, and I learned about myself. I loved every minute at BYU, but the time eventually came for me to graduate. 

The day before graduation my mom took me out to take pictures so we would not have to fight for the more popular spots on campus. They turned out lovely, and I think we both had some fun doing it.

Graduation day... Well, part of it. Convocations. Cute outfit, curled hair, cap, gown, dang it... I forgot my stole. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. I have no one to stand with. Everyone is lining up with their groups of friends. This is awkward. Some girl keeps looking at me, and I feel like I recognize her from somewhere. Aren't we Facebook friends? How do I know her? She's coming over. It's Melissa. I know her from BYUSA. I had someone to talk to and sit with through the ceremony. Thank goodness for BYUSA. They are getting us into single file lines, and we are starting to walk. Good. It's so hot outside. All of the faculty are out waving to us. I don't see anyone I know. I'm too excited to try to focus. We are filing in through the tunnel. How many times have I been through here this year? So many. This is my last time... 

Get out of the ceremony. Practically run to the exit. I was so excited for Elder Russel M. Nelson to speak, but marriage? Was that a necessary topic? At graduation, BYU?! Come on! Where is my family? Okay, I'll just wait at the meeting spot. Oh! I see them coming! Picture time! 

The next day is commencement. Ryan went up with me to the line. He laughs when someone thinks he is a graduate. He is bored, and I don't know where the rest of the family is. Here they come. Dad is hiding something under his jacket. Aw! They bought me a lei! They leave to find a seat. Again, I have no one to sit with, and I don't see Melissa. Oh my gosh. That annoying guy from one of my classes is here. Why me? Wow. He's actually kind of funny! He wants to be my "line buddy." Whatever. We're about to move. My feet are killing me. Heels were probably a bad idea. I will survive. Why are they taking us down stairs? They are trying to kill me. The tunnel! I guess this is my last time! I get to sit on the floor this time. I feel like the speakers are taking forever today. Why am I so anxious? My row is getting up. Here we go! They are going to take our photos. Wow. This lady is kind of forceful. They are taking my card. Dr. Roper reads my name and I walk across the stage shaking hands with people, some of whom I have never seen. I didn't trip!! All of the sudden I am done. I am a BYU graduate. Commencement doesn't last much longer. I go back out to meet my family. This time they are looking for me. 

I am a BYU graduate... This is what it feels like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...