Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Time Out for Women and Beyond!

Sister Hinckley once said: The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, wishing for better ones ahead.
Far too long ago I said I was going to post about what I learned at Time Out for Women. Well, I forgot. So, today I am actually going to post the highlights of my wonderful weekend full of speakers, good music, fun, and some family. My mom always goes to TOFW. I have never gotten to go before, but this time since I was home I got to see what this was all about. The theme this year was Inevitable Light which I loved! 
The first speaker's name was Heidi Swinton. She said that light is a choice. She then summarized the story of the 10 virgins. She made the point that the oil in their lamps is the light not the lamp itself. The oil in our hearts is the light we have prepared for when we get to meet Christ once again. She then talked about difficulties and shared a quote from President Monson which says, "Difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were--better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with stronger testimonies than we had before." John 14:27
Then, Elaine Dalton spoke! Oh my oh my! She talked about the plaque she saw that said "what e'er thou art, act well thy part" and then said that we have to use the gifts Heavenly Father has given us. We each have a part to play in preparing for the Second Coming because by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. In the premortal existence, we had such great faith in the Plan that we were sent to earth at this time when opportunities and opposition are greatest. We were warriors in heaven, and we are warriors now. Our faith and testimony of Christ are our weapons. We are elect and noble. We can illuminate and shine our lights to change the world. We are never alone. She quoted Spencer W. Kimball who said, "Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world." She then said that although times may be tough to never quit in the middle of a hill! No matter the circumstance, don't quit until you are finished.
Two women spoke together and told us how to have more sass in our lives. I laughed, but it was an acronym. S: search for the Lord. A: Act on His Atonement. S: Savor the Gospel and the blessings you are given. S: Share your gifts. They shared the scripture Matthew 7:7-8 and said where fear exists, faith cannot. They told us what we have to offer is good enough, what we have is important and needed, and the Savior is there to help us in all things. It was a wonderful message that everyone needs to hear. 
The final speaker was Emily Freeman. She also talked about light, but she said that light illuminates the darkness bringing the reality to what we may think is real but is not. She shared the story of Philemon which I will admit, I don't think I have ever read before. She told us to ask ourselves [what I would do?] and [what is the condition of my heart?]. She also talked about the story of the Good Samaritan and said we honor what the Samaritan did not do as much as for what he did do. We have to rely on the Lord for illumination, and that illumination requires room in your heart for the Lord. She said the Lord knows who you are and he knows such a person as me. Ending her talk she told a story about an instrument that could not be tuned. Because of that, it was worthless. She said to not pray to be an instrument to the Lord but to pray that you will be in tune so you can gain illumination. She tied it together nicely. 
So, my Friday and Saturday were filled with an uplifting spiritual experience and good words for me to remember. I loved sharing it with my mom, grandma, Aunt Cheryl, Aleah, Jennifer, and Aunt Debbie. 
 That weekend sounds pretty great, but something made it even better. I went home to watch the BYU v. Texas game with my family. Last year, I was sitting in the President's Loge watching BYU kill Texas with some leaders of the Church after I got soaked by Hurrican LaVell as the storm was lovingly named in Utah. This year I watched it with my family on TV with my puppy's nails painted BYU blue, a banner hanging from our banister, a BYU flag being sported outside, and all of us in BYU attire. We killed Texas once again! Gotta love them Cougs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...