Monday, August 21, 2017

Family History Bug

So this one time I got called as a temple and family history coordinator. I have been in that calling before, so it came as no surprise. I was told that I would mostly be planning temple trips for the ward. Then, when it came down to it I was all of the sudden also supposed to be teaching a family history class during Sunday School. I knew NOTHING about family history other than the fact that my grandma and mom worked on it! 
So, I dove right in and tried to figure it out. I caught on pretty quickly and filled in quite a few holes in my family tree on both sides. I made it my goal to fill in my four generation chart that the church has challenged each member to fill in and take the names to the temple. When I completed that, I told myself I wanted to complete the larger fan chart it shows on my profile and work on my Grandma Fairchild's four generation chart since she had almost nothing filled in on hers. 
Well, I only have a few spots left on my chart, but I cannot describe all of the blessings that have come from me working on my family history. I feel closer to my ancestors as I read stories about them, see their draft cards going back to the civil war, look at marriage records, etc. They each have a story to tell, and they are so much more than names on a fan chart. Not only this, but I have been able to be closer to both of my grandmas. Grandma Fairchild expressed that she really wants her and grandpa's work to be done in the temple. Also, I have been able to work with Grandma Anderson on her family tree and hear stories about people and see their pictures. I have been able to reserve people to take to the temple. I have also found some fun things. For instance, since I first started picking out names for my future children I was probably about 12 or 13. I have always wanted to name a little girl Emma Jane. I have even had dreams about what she will look like. There is an Emma Jane on my Grandma Fairchild's side that I had no idea about! How fun is that?! I definitely want to take her name to the temple. In fact, I am kind of worried about letting someone else go and do baptisms because I am afraid they won't bring the names back! 
So, moral of the story: family history is not just for your parents and grandparents to do. Sometimes you can find things easier than they can, and why not get some of those blessings for yourself when you are given the opportunity to do so? And once you start, you're hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...