Friday, November 13, 2020

Greater Things than These

 This year, reading the Book of Mormon for our home study has truly been a blessing. I don't know if it is because I have more time or because of events happening, but the scriptures are so much more than stories. I have always known that of course, but I can truly say I have felt a connection with each prophet and gained a deeper testimony of their words as I have read this year.

In Mormon 8:12, he says, "And whose receiveth this record, and shall not condemn it because of the imperfections which are in it, the same shall know of greater things than these (it might also be good to check out 3 Nephi 26:9)." I have always focused on the imperfections portion of this scripture because I know the people who wrote this are not perfect. I know not to focus on the imperfections like so many do. But this time I focused on the part that says if we don't focus on those things we shall know so much more. If you focus on the good, on the power of the book, on the teachings of Christ, on the examples of the prophets as well as the wicked people in the book, you learn so much more! As you open your heart and mind you are able to gain more knowledge than you do if you criticize or even if you just read through it without taking the time to focus on what it is trying to teach you. 

I have spent some serious time reflecting on all that I have been blessed with because I have faith in the Book of Mormon. I think that will be a completely different blog post at the end of the year, but because I believe in its words I have a knowledge of so, SO MUCH MORE.  

As I have continued reading, I have felt for Moroni as he mourned at his loneliness. I have felt compassion for him and his father Mormon as they remain faithful and strive to live the word of God in an increasingly and overwhelmingly wicked world. I have felt a light and gladness for the brother of Jared who asked Heavenly Father questions but also had to go and find his own answers sometimes. And, circling back, I have felt a comfort in the revelations of Moroni which said, "signs shall follow them that believe in my name (Ether 4:18)." Looking at that footnote it says the Holy Ghost shall follow them that believe in my name. We learn that the Holy Ghost is a comforter, a teacher, a companion, but do you realize if you are faithful and believe, you have a member of the Godhead with you?? One of the top three Supreme beings can be with you. You can have the spirit of Heavenly Father and Christ with you ALL OF THE TIME. You can feel of their love and power through the Holy Ghost if you believe. Just let that sink in for a minute. 

There is so much more I have to learn. So much more to experience. But, I am thankful for the opportunity I have to read and study the Book of Mormon this year. I am thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and I am thankful for a loving and merciful Heavenly Father who can make weak things become strong because I have a long, long way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...