Tuesday, February 11, 2014

About My Childhood Role Model

Shirley Temple died on Monday. In celebration of her life this blog is dedicated to her. She was a star in many people's lives including mine. When I was little I loved watching movies with her in them. I wanted to be like her with those perfect little bouncy curls. Who wouldn't? Movies such as A Little Princess, Heidi, Curly Top, Baby Take a Bow, Dimples, and Bright Eyes were watched numerous times at my house. She retired when she was 22, and I was part of the reason she could continue on living without a job. Remember how I told you I liked Gone with the Wind? Well, the southern charm, historical context, and sassy Miss Scarlet aren't the only reasons I watch it. Clark Gable... Oh how I love him! Well, the cute little girl who was America's darling of the Depression years was the most popular movie star in America. My dear Clark Gable was a far off second. How do you like them apples? This little girl with her sunny optimism and personality and sparkly eyes got more mail than Greta Garbo and had more pictures taken of her than President Roosevelt. She was that cool. Without further adieu... Shirley Temple, my childhood role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...