Sunday, February 9, 2014

Taking Myself Out On a Date

So, I know this sounds lame, but yesterday I went on a date with myself. I went to see the Saratov Approach. I went to the dollar movie theater, bought popcorn and a cookie ice cream sandwich that I always used to get when I was a kid, sat myself close to the back of the theater, and enjoyed myself. Let me tell you, the movie was AMAZING!! If you want an uplifting movie where you get a spiritual message and have some of the action that everyone loves then this is your movie. I stress ate through an entire tub of popcorn before the movie was over. My mom mentality kicked in. I cried. I listened to the message the movie gave. I left spiritually uplifted. The movie is about two LDS missionaries that were kidnapped in Russia. Spoiler alert to those who haven't seen it yet... They had a chance to get away. They unlocked their handcuffs, put on their boots and coats, and devised a plan. When they were about to do it they looked at each other and said that God had a plan for them. The took off their boots and coats and locked themselves back to the chain. That took a lot of faith. They went from praying for themselves to their families to the people who captured and beat them. A tattoo saved their lives. All through this journey they took together they never forgot the love Heavenly Father had for them and that they were His children. When they got away they fulfilled the remaining year of their missions. Guys! This was a true story! These two twenty year old young men followed the promptings of the Lord, were kept safe, and finished their missions before going home. I am about to be twenty, and I am amazed at their faith. After I got out of the movie it was only fitting to sit outside of the temple to ponder. It was a beautiful night. I came home to watch Gone With the Wind. Sometimes you need to take yourself out on a date. It is a beautiful thing to be able to take time for yourself.
Today I was still thinking about the Saratov Approach when I woke up. I took what I was thinking about to church today. Sorry, I am going to rave about the movie more. The missionaries were talking about Christ one day while they were chained up. One made the point that Christ loved us so much he died for us. He didn't want to, but He loved us and His father. During sacrament meeting one girl shared a story that I absolutely loved. It is kind of long, but it is beautiful.
Many years ago there was a school where the pupils behaved so badly that no teacher could make them listen. The boys were so rough that one teacher after another left the school. Then, one day, a young man came for the job. The head teacher looked at him. "Young man," he said, "Do you know what will happen to you? You will be beaten up many times by the pupils. For years, every teacher has suffered like this." The young man replied, "I am willing to take that risk." When the new teacher started work, Tom, one of the biggest boys, whispered, "I won't need any help. I can beat this one up myself." The teacher stood up in front of the class and said, "Good morning. I have come to teach you, but I will need your help. We can't have school without making some rules. You tell me what the rules should be and I will write them for all of you to see." One pupil said, "No stealing." Another said, "Don't be late for class." At last they had ten rules. "Now," said the teacher, "A rule is no good unless we agree what the punishment should be. What shall we do with someone who breaks one of the rules?" "Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on," shouted one of the boys. "That is a very hard punishment, boys. Will you let me do that if someone breaks a rule?" "Yes," said all of the class. A few days later, Tom's lunch was stolen. The thief was found to be Jim, a hungry little boy aged ten. The next morning the teacher said to the class, "We found the thief and he must be punished. Jim, come up here." Trembling, Jim came slowly to the front of the class. He was wearing a big coat buttoned up to his neck. He said, "Teacher, you can beat me as hard as you like, but please don't make me take my coat off." "Take that coat off. You helped make the rules." "Oh, teacher, don't make me!" He began to undo the buttons on his coat. As he did so the teacher and the class saw the boy had not shirt on, and only a string to keep up his trousers. His body was thin and bony. "How can I beat this boy?" the teacher thought, "But I must do something if I am to keep order." Everything was quiet in the room. "Why don't you have a shirt, Jim?" said the teacher. Jim replied, "My father died and my mother is very poor. I have only one shirt, and my mother is washing it today. I wore my brother's coat to keep warm." The teacher, with stick in hand, hesitated. Just then, Tom jumped to his feet and said, "Teacher, if you agree to this, I will take Jim's beating for him." "Yes, there is a rule that one person can take the punishment for another; they can become a substitute. Do you all agree?" the teacher asked. Tom took off his coat. After five strong hits the stick broke. The teacher hid his head in his hands and thought, "How can I finish this terrible job?" Then he heard the whole class crying. Little Jim reached up and put his arms around Tom's neck. "Tom, I am sorry I stole your lunch, but I was so hungry. Tom, I'll love you until the day I die because you took my punishment for me. I will love you forever.
Christ did the same thing for us. He did not necessarily want to, but he did it because of his love and grace. I am glad I took myself out on a date last night. It was a wonderful night that carried on through church today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...