Sunday, February 2, 2014

So Much On My Mind

I love it when I have weeks where I feel like I learn in and out of the classroom. Quality education I tell you. I have refused to accept that it is winter, and I have been wearing little dresses with cowboy boots or capris with boat shoes. Texas girl for sure. I refused to accept it was winter until Thursday when it snowed. Right when you think it is almost spring and get a little too confident Utah puts you back in your place. Back to the sweaters and boots for me! Don't worry though. I was back in Sperry's by Friday. 
Tuesday's devotional was amazing! It was about making a difference in the world. It is hard to beat that. The speaker gave us four things we could do: we could make our world bigger, not think or talk but act, have passion and courage, and bringing our best effort every single day. She shared a quote by Calvin Coolidge that said, "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." She talked about how balance was found in meaning not time. I love that. Balance is found in what I find meaningful rather than the amount of time I have. Lastly, she mentioned that measuring progress is like keeping score, but we need to beware of the illusion of progress v. true impact. I loved it all. 

I also got to read a few articles in BYU Magazine. One article was about the Sacred Gifts exhibit that is in the Museum of Art right now. It is a beautiful exhibit. If I could live there I would. Most of these paintings have never left their homes before and probably never will again. One painting I love in particular. It is an angel leaning over Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. BYU gave the permanent homes of all of these paintings filler pieces so their halls wouldn't be empty while we borrowed them. All spaces have been filled except the one of this picture with the angel and Christ. The museum that owns it said to leave it empty because it meant the angel was out protecting someone else right now. That angel is protecting BYU. Beautiful. The other article just made me happy. It is definitely worth a read. Click here if you have some time and want to make your day a little brighter.
This week I answered over 900 emails. I went into work and typed the entire time I was there each day. By the time I went to my classes my fingers and sometimes hands were sore. Each day I woke up dreading having to go to work. One morning when I woke up looking like a lion even when wearing a ponytail I knew I was in for a long day. I am sure I will have more emails when I go into work tomorrow, but I think I'm ready. I had a good week. I finished it off with movies with Julie Anne and Janessa and a party with Meghan. I love spending time with these girls. Tonight I am watching the Super Bowl solely for the commercials. The Cheerios, Coca Cola, Heinz ketchup, Audi, Doritos, and Budweiser commercials are my favorite. And, I broke out the Toblerone I got for Christmas. Yum! 
 Oh! And my mom sent me pictures from over Christmas break. So, one picture is me at almost 20 years old. The other... 1 year old. Nothing has changed. At all... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...