Sunday, June 16, 2013

To the Best Dad (No Arguments... My Dad is Hands Down the Best)

Is it seeing a dad completely forget his baby in church, a grandpa playing and coloring with his granddaughter during church, the lessons at church about fathers, the cute daddy/daughter songs, the old pictures you look back on, the stories you think about that you've been told too many times to count, or the Primary kids singing songs about dads that make it Father's Day? No. It is thinking of the warm embrace when your dad hugs you too tight, his soothing voice he uses when he knows you are upset, the infinite words of wisdom he has told you all throughout your life, the little gifts he has given you that consistently remind you of him, and the never ending love he gives you.
I am so thankful for the boys in my life. I am thankful for the smiles, laughs, heartache, lessons learned, and dreams I have for the future because of them. My little brother is amazing. He is an awesome brother, and he is going to be a wonderful missionary, uncle, and dad one day. Every time I hear a particular song I start laughing because I think of him. This same song is also played by a Hershey kiss music box my dad gave me for Christmas one year that says, "Kisses for my daughter" on the little paper (but not paper) thing that sticks out of the top. I think about both of my boys when I hear this song. So, here it is. Enjoy.
I also love my grandpa. He is a great guy. He says he never had a headache until much later in his life (I don't know how he managed that with seven kids... I get a headache just thinking about it), can eat more ice cream than anyone I know (Ryan may be able to rival him now), can slurp down a malt in one breath faster than anyone I know, and can fall asleep faster than anyone I know. I love the stories he tells of when he was a kid. I even like the ones I have heard a bazillion times. He's just great.
Now, I feel like all guys should be celebrated, but I mostly want to focus on my dad today. Here is a picture of the both of us when we were about the same age. I kind of look like him. 

I usually wear my beloved charm bracelet rather often, but because I have not been getting ready (aka just wearing swimsuits all day erry day), I have not worn it in a while. I took it out today to wear it to church. Waiting for Makenna to be ready to go so we could walk there, I was admiring my collection of charms. Then, I came to my  daddy's girl charm. At one point in my life, I swore that I was not a daddy's girl. I don't really know why... It was just a weird pre-teen stage I went through. Looking back, I realize how much of a daddy's girl I am. Starting at the now: who is the first one I call if I need something? Dad. Who is the one I yelled for when I was at home and my little brother was attacking me? Daddy. Who is the one I call to talk my mom into something? Dad. Who is the one I call super late at night when I am just livid and unsure what to do about my car being booted? Definitely Dad. Who writes me poems and sends me cards that I read constantly because I just love them and him? Dad. Looking a little further back... Who wore the same shirt for both of my prom nights a year apart from each other and graduation a little later? Dad (he loves that Nike shirt).Who talked my mom into letting me get my Jemma? Dad. 

Who took me out driving when I was learning and my mom said she was never taking me out again? Dad. Who ran the risk of injury when I was practicing pitching for softball and he was on the receiving end of the ball? That would be dad! Who can write a note to my teacher telling her I need to leave early in an old time fashion acting like I'm a princess and me not be mad (a little embarrassed but not mad)? Dad. And a little further back... Who let me color code the booster seats at the theater he worked at? Dad. Who was brave enough to take me AND Ryan to work with him? Dad. And, who was the one who said, "Oh, he's (Fenway) so tiny. He can sleep in the bed just this once." Dad! Who ended up sleeping in my bed until I left for college and slept in a bed the rest of his long life? Fenway. And... go back further just one more time. Who can call me Little Bit, Angel Eyes, and Nutmeg my whole life and I just love it? Dad. Who has loved me from the very beginning? My dad. I love my dad so much, and I am so thankful for the shining example he is for me. He is a worthy priesthood holder, has a ton of patience, and shows me what it means to endure to the end. I love my dad, and I am proud to be his little girl. I cried when the Primary kids sang the Father's Day songs that I have had stuck in my head for the past month. And, I listened to daddy/daughter songs for most of the time I was writing my last paper of the semester. I look forward to the day that I can have my daddy/daughter dance, and the day I  get married and have kids that will sing to their daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...