Saturday, June 8, 2013

Epitome of Happiness

Whoosh-click. Whoosh-click. Whoosh-click. The sound of the waves is comforting as I sit basking in the sun. Each time I hear the noise I can pick out a different kind of sunscreen. As you walk into the park the smell of sunscreen, chlorine, french fries, and funnel cakes hits you like a wave. The sound of the waves is always appropriate, I guess. My towel is laid out perfectly and I lay somewhat diagonally across it, close my eyes, and try not to think about anything. Whoosh-click. Inhale. Whoosh-click. Whoosh-click. Exhale. Aligning my breathing with the waves helps me relax. I can feel the sun seeping into my skin. This is the warm, beautiful sunshine I missed so much. By the point I start getting hot, I can pick out different conversations. One group of girls that look like they're twelve is talking about another girl who stole one of their boyfriends, one mom is trying to calm a toddler who just wants to walk around naked, a group of boys is trying to figure out their plan of action, and a group of moms is talking about how nice it is to just let the kids loose so they can have some time for themselves.
After waiting for the whoosh-click to stop, I get into the pool and realize this reminds me of home. It reminds me of when I get to take Ryan to Hurricane Harbor, all of those hot days spent at the pool, fun times with friends, and the time I have spent with my family in the pool at my grandma's or otherwise. It is comforting, and I feel like I belong. The waves start once again and I head back to my towel. The longer I stay, the more brands of sunscreen I can pick out, and... is that aloe? I have never been one to freak out about a sunburn like some. I go on a few slides and then come to terms with the fact that I need to face reality and go home to do homework. I leave with burned feet, but I walk happily but halfheartedly out of the park. I honestly live for summer time. It is my time to shine. My chance to show that I glow, and my eyes truly sparkle when I am happy.
My freckles make an appearance for these summer months, my make-up and my mom's shade darker (how is that even possible?) make-up no longer match my skin tone, my hair is already getting lighter, I know some point soon I am going to have to buy clarifying shampoo, my room is in a constant state of mess because of consistent changing into a swimsuit after throwing school stuff down, swimsuits and short shorts are the daily outfits before and after class, I never try to tame the lion hair but end up braiding it or putting it in a bun, swimming and walking up that hill to class are my workouts, my music gets louder, cold pizza or a popsicle could be my breakfast, my smile gets wider, and let's face it... life is just better.
Now, yesterday was Friday. Let me be the first to admit I got almost no homework done. I went out with Makenna and Kaitlyn, went to eat with Makenna, and after eating all that food went to play frisbee with her in the park. The smell of freshly mowed grass and the smell and sound of sprinklers also remind me of home. They remind me of when I would sit on my swingset while my dad mowed, the oh so many times I would run through the sprinklers, and the smell of the dogs when they came in from outside. We later went and watched a movie with Dani, Tyler, Anna, Jake, Kaitlyn, and James. Yeah, I was Mak's date, and I am okay with that. The as close to perfect as I have had in a long time day ended splendidly with a long talk with Mak. Today I may not have gotten up until almost 11, and it may have felt like three in the morning when I finally decided I
should quite literally roll out of bed. Summer is just the best. This week started with trying to make a ten person pyramid, led to a kind of awkward FHE game that turned out to be a lot of fun, the biggest snowcones I have ever seen, seven peaks with Eric, seven peaks with Meghan, a movie night with Mak, and other events that just keep letting the week get better. Next week is going to be rough with my one million papers due and class at my teacher's house (does anyone else think that is odd?). Classes are almost done, then somehow I am going to cram more fun into my life. I have 13 or 14 days (depending on if I fly or drive) before I get to see my family again. I. Can't. Wait.

1 comment:

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...