Monday, January 6, 2014

It Feels So Scary, Getting Old

With the lack of posts before, now I have to catch up! I have so many things to talk about... Well, my friends, all of my general required classes are done, and I am officially a senior. It feels good. And scary. Everyone keeps reminding me to apply for graduation, but I am scared. I will do it... Eventually. After this semester I have a short spring term and an internship before I walk across that stage, shake President Samuelson's hand, and waltz out like I own the place probably tripping along the way somewhere because I am me, and that's what I do. 
This is a new year, and with a new year comes new goals, dreams, and aspirations. I keep a quote above my desk in my office. It says, "Let us with faith, enthusiasm, dedication, responsibility, and love do all that is in our reach, and we will be doing all that is possible to achieve the impossible." I want to live by this quote this year to do all that is possible to achieve the impossible (or what I think to be impossible).  
Being back in Provo began with a wedding reception that I got to be a bridesmaid for. I had so much fun seeing Dearest Dani and Charming Tyler so genuinely happy. So happy. I love them. Freshman year we started yelling, "I'm coming to your wedding!" to each other. We were all at Miss Emilee's wedding reception, and we kept it going all attending Dani's. Two down. Four more to go.  
At work we also had to make personal goals for ourselves. I could only think of three things. No matter how hard I thought, those three things kept coming to mind. So, hesitantly I wrote down "faith, trust, and just a little bit of pixie dust." I don't know why they were stuck in my head, but my goals for this year have been formed off of them. Let me explain. Faith... I have a picture that says, "Faith is when you close your eyes and open your heart." I think I need to close my eyes so I will be able to open my heart. I need to have more faith in my life. More faith and hope in the unknown. Faith that things will work out. Hope that some of the most wonderful things are to come. Trust... In our meeting today we had a spiritual thought like always. The girl who shared said we need to trust in our Heavenly Father because He trusts us. Why do I always have to be reminded of this? Okay, that's my next goal. Trust in Him as much as He trusts me. And, just a little bit of pixie dust... A lot of the magic in my life disappeared. I stopped looking for it, and I kind of stopped believing. Roald Dahl once said, "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." I am going to start believing again. I had a magical first couple of years here at BYU, and I want my last while here to be just as magical if not more so. Yes, my goals for this new year are based off of something I heard in a Disney movie. Why shouldn't they be? I learned a lot more at work today. I guess Heavenly Father knew I needed to hear it. This inspiration came from a talk by President Uchtdorf called "The Best Time to Plant a Tree." He tells a story that about a man who had a long list of resolutions, and he felt pretty good about his progress. He had stuck to his diet, hadn't lost his temple, kept to his budget, and hadn't complained. But today is January second, the alarm just went off and it is time to get out of bed. He knew it was going to take a miracle to keep his streak going. This new year has given me a new start, a clean slate. I feel like my goals are realistic. I can stick to these three things. I may not be perfect, but I can make progress. That matters and means a lot. President Uchtdorf also related an old proverb that says, "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now." He then goes on saying, "There is something wonderful and hopeful about the word now. There is something empowering about the fact that if we choose to decide now, we can move forward at this very moment. Now is the time to start becoming the person we eventually want to be not only 20 years from now but also for all eternity." It scares me that I am getting older and I will soon be going off into the real world, but when I focus on the now it isn't quite as bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...