Friday, May 23, 2014

If You Don't Live in Texas Then You're Out of Luck


Texas...

I may not have the crazy amount of pride that some Texan's carry with them always, but I do love it. I love the land that is so flat. I love being able to see as far as my eyes will allow and being able to watch the sun seemingly hit the ground as it is setting. I love how the tall grass sways in the wind. I love the cows and how they roam the huge fields with all of that tall grass. I love how hot the cars are after they've been sitting in the sun. I love the tingling/burning sensation on my face when I have been out in the sun for a little while. I love how my soft freckles peek out from underneath my makeup. I love how we are the only state who really cares about their state flower and proudly have our flag the same height as the U.S. flag just because we can. I love the lightening bugs that come out in the summer and light up the dark nights. I love cheering for the Rangers. I love saying "yes ma'am and no sir" and rubbing off on my roommates even though they used to make fun of me. I love how people don't believe me when I tell them the longest part of roadtrips is making it out of the dang state. I love the memorable skylines of the big cities around me. I love that we still write thank you notes. I love the southern hospitality. I love my pearls. I love how there is only one month of winter and the rest of the time it is summer. I love macaroni and cheese, grits, Blue Bell ice cream, fried chicken, and biscuits and gravy. I love blessing people's hearts and telling them they are sweet spirits. I love having a momma and a daddy. I love the wildflowers all along the highways. I love going kayaking in the summer. I love boys opening doors for me, being treated like a princess, homecoming mums, being tough but elegant, and having those blessed kolaches. I love how everything is bigger. I love the armadillos and coyotes. I love the songs such as "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and "The Yellow Rose of Texas" whose choruses always get stuck in your head. I love how friends point out my minor accent and just smile as they try to convince me that I have it. Most of all, I love how my friends always address me as Miss Megan. So, give me a cowboy hat and let me be the Texan girl I am because all I want right now is to ride a horse and let the warm, gentle wind blow through my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...