Tuesday, May 13, 2014

When in Rome... or Texas

Finals came and went in a blur along with Kaitlyn's bridal shower (the first one I had ever thrown) and the days leading up to me coming home. The day before I left, I went out for a sushi lunch with Julie Anne. Oh my. I never thought I would be so full from rice and a little bit of seafood, but three rolls later I could not have eaten the second round of three that they offer you for your "all you can eat" lunch. I don't think all of the laughing we were doing was helping my very full stomach feel any better either. I love her. Then, it was time for me to go home.
I needed to go home. I love Provo but sometimes the simpleness and monotony of the lifestyle I have here get old. I get tired of my schedule of school and work. As much as I love the people here it makes me sad when they all leave whether it is because of missions, marriages, or moving on with their lives. I needed a change. Once finals were over, I was out of Provo. It felt so good to see my family again, to get those tight hugs that mean so much, to be able to eat at my favorite places, and to see people I love.
The first weekend I was at home I got to walk a 5K with my momma. Her team at work had these shirts... On the front they said, "I pooped today." I'll be the first to admit that I was a little embarrassed to be wearing that shirt. I told her if I was going to wear that shirt I was going to look dang good doing it. Armed with new running shoes and matching shorts, I walked that 5K as quickly as I could. Afterwards, mom and I went down a giant blowup slide, drew on the sidewalk with chalk, and just had fun before going out to eat with some of her friends she from work. The next day was Sunday. I missed Easter with my family, but they made me the Easter dinner that I wanted so badly. Yum. Can you work food off ahead of time? Let's go with yes so I can say I worked all of the potato salad and blackberry cobbler I ate that day at the 5K.
My time at home flew by. Even the days I was bored at home while mom worked seem to go by so quickly. I don't really understand why or how. Shopping, errands, cooking dinner, cleaning out the house, starting Gone With the Wind, seeing how bad I am at video games, and other random activities filled up my time. Over my break I also had a birthday. I am no longer a teenager! My birthday was wonderful, and I got everything I asked for including sandals, nail polish, skirts, and a couple of books. I am such a girl. For my birthday I also got a lemon meringue pie made by my dad, and I got pictures in the bluebonnets. Mom and I actually found a good patch of them on the way to a friend from our old ward's house. At her house we went through a friend that died's jewelry box. As hard and sad as that was, I am glad to have a part of her to always remember her by.
I loved every minute I got to spend with my family whether it was eating dinner, watching a movie, going on walks with the dog and looking at the peacocks that live in our neighborhood, shopping, exploring antique stores, getting smoothies, or laughing with Ryan because I really am so terrible at my Mario games now. I love them even though they drive me crazy and I am sure I drive them crazy as well. That's what families are for, right?!?
As time got closer for me to come back to Provo, I got more upset and stressed. I was so sad that I had to go back, and even more upset that my last few days would not be spent with my family as much as with others. I had fun on those days though for the most part. My week started with class drama. Things can never go the way you plan. I got it all worked out with some help.
When I'm at home I always just wish I had more time. Mom did a bridal shower for Kaitlyn. The theme was breakfast at Tiffany's. I thought it was cute. The little old ladies from the ward made it even cuter. The next day, I went shopping and then to lunch with my grandma and grandpa. My poor grandpa. First we take him shopping where he is the designated bag holder, and then we take him to a restaurant where there are no milkshakes. The more time I am at college, the more I appreciate my grandparents. They bought me a beautiful shirt, and lunch was divine.
The next day I went to lunch with my best friend and her mom. I love and miss the both of them so much. Having them in my life ever since I was in kindergarten means the world to me. By the end of lunch I was a little stressed because I had to drive somewhere I didn't know in the rain to meet with Eric and Maddie who drove from Houston to see me. I miss them so much. So, so much. I met them and then we drove to the town square at Southlake for lunch and exploring. It is beautiful there, and my lunch of a giant chicken wrap was delicious. Most of all, I loved their company. I loved laughing like we used to.
Friday came all too soon and was Kaitlyn's wedding day. I have been waiting for this day for far too long! At the temple I waited anxiously for them to come out. While I waited, I talked to friends from my ward. It was Kaitlyn's wedding day, but everyone told me how beautiful I looked in my bridesmaid dress. I even had one lady tell me my eyes were mesmerizing. That always makes a girl feel good. When they finally came out, they were so happy. Picture time soon followed!  Once I was back home and out of my heels, I was happy to scarf down some food and watch a show with my mom. I don't know what I am going to do when I get married. I may starve to death and then die from lack of sleep or hurting feet on my wedding day... Anyways, then it was reception time! The church was decorated beautifully, and the bride and groom were still glowing with happiness. The bridesmaids and groomsmen made a survival kit of sorts for Kaitlyn and James. Each went up and gave the bride or groom two items to help the new bride or groom survive with the other. When I was done with my part, I went back to sit down. My mom told me I sounded just like my Aunt Diana. That made me so happy. The reception was entertaining, but when I got home at ten I could have slept for days. Too bad (but not too bad at all) I went out with my mom and a couple cousins and an aunt to get cheese fries and fried pickles. Mom and I came home and tried to watch a movie. I knew I wasn't going to fall asleep so at two in the morning I turned it off and went to bed and got to sleep with my mom and the spotted dog.
Sadly, the next day I had to leave. Since my flight was later my family had time for one more breakfast together. After that, spending time with my mom, and walking the dog one more time, we went to the airport. I swear, airports and I do not get along. I ALWAYS have to be patted down, my hands are tested for bomb residue or whatever else they swab my hands for, or my bags are opened and searched through. This time was no different. Annoying. I got to the gate just as we were boarding, and I got to sit by a skinny person unlike on the way to Texas. Someone in heaven loves me.
Now I am back in Provo. Back to college life. Back to remembering how I wanted things to be but facing how they have turned out. Back to worrying about what job I will be able to get when I graduate and what I should master in. My mom once told me that if I wanted to make God laugh I should tell Him my plans. He probably can't even look at me without laughing now. My plans never work out. He must have something completely different in mind for me. I may one day understand that and find out what they are. Until then I have to remember that some days life is all about your dreams, hopes, and vision for the future, but in others life is just about putting one foot in front of the other.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...