Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summa Summa Summertime

Summer has given me time. Time to think. Time to read. Time to worry. Time to enjoy myself. Here are a few things that have come into my mind and a few pictures from my adventures as of late. 
1. I have a horrible thought right now that I don't need friends. I am about to leave. Why should I make an effort to make new friends? I know what it is. It's my way of coping. I hate saying goodbye, and the less people I have to say goodbye to. Lately I have been spending time with new friends when I forget that I am not supposed to be getting close to more people. Then, right when I remember I pull away. As is life. I am happy but confused. I want to go out and have fun, but I am so tired of being hurt. I am tired of being there for people whenever they need me only to be left in the dust when they no longer do. I am tired of the so-called friends that never talk to me unless they are bored or need something. I have a few really good friends here, and I feel like that is all I really need. We have been told that we hate endings because we are eternal beings. I like that my fear in goodbyes is justified. I don't want to lose people I love. I don't want to be easily forgotten. I want someone to miss me when I'm gone. I want to keep some friendships alive while I let others go. Maybe this is all just a fear of change... a fear of what life will be like when I go home. It may be a loss... of friendships, my independence, and some of the things I have always hoped for. Then again, it may be a time of gain for me... a chance to gain new experiences, figure out what I really want out of life, and a chance to start again. I don't know. It could be both. Still, inside me there is always that fear of what's to come. This coming year fills me with anxiety of the unknown. In times like these I am so thankful for the friends that are always by my side and those that never fail to make me smile. 
2. Right now, it is a huge thing that the leader of the Ordain Women movement was excommunicated from the church. I felt bad for her. She just wanted to make a difference, as wrong as it was. At first I was really upset. I knew how media would take it: someone with a different opinion was kicked out. This movement has been an eye-opener for me. I don't want the priesthood and feel like acting the way some in this movement have would make me feel like I could not sustain the church leaders, but I do sustain them and love and respect them dearly. Although it makes me sad that the Young Men have a bigger budget then the Young Women organization, Relief Society activities are almost always crafty things, and you do not need any women to form a group, branch, ward, or even stake, I know that I am in the true church. It isn't perfect, but it is true. Heavenly Father knew what I was going through. He always does. So, I usually read one chapter from my scriptures a night. I was very behind but finally caught up on Sunday night. Somehow, the night I was calling into question everything that is happening I came to 3 Nephi 14: 15-20 which says, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them." That made sense to me. I feel so much better now. 
3. Fun is coming! The fourth of July I am going to a Carrie Underwood concert with fireworks afterward. My last Fourth in Utah is going out with a bang. Literally. The next weekend I will be hiking the Narrows in Zion National Park. Camping+hiking+a river= I'm in. Let's do this! A week and a half later I will be heading to California. Family, beaches, and adventure. What more could I ask for? I have also started my final class and love it. It is in my top five favorite classes. Better yet, there is no final! The final is a party. I am so close to being done. 50 days from today I will be walking across the stage in a cap and gown. Adventures, a fun class, more work, my internship continues, and then I will be done. So exciting! Also, I have a very nice tan, and my summer is only halfway over. I cannot wait for my graduation pictures. I will actually be tan! That in and of itself is worth not walking in April for. After a long winter I would just look pasty in that navy gown. But now... :) I love summer so much. I need it to be summer all of the time! My only real summertime sadness other than the fact that I will be leaving at the end is the fact that I have to wear pants to work. It's a pretty great summer so far. 
It snowed in June. Utah... 
This is normal at BYU. :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, I LOVE what you said about Ordain Women. Oh my gosh. You are so insightful and smart and thoughtful and I look up to you. Also, look my face! I'm in a blog post!

    ReplyDelete

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...