Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Standard of Truth

Since Easter I have really been thinking about what it means to be a disciple of Christ. When reading my scriptures this week I came across Helaman 5:49-50. It says, "And there were about three hundred souls who saw and heard these things; and they were bidden to go forth and marvel not, neither should they doubt. And it came to pass that they did go forth, and minister unto the people, declaring throughout all the regions round about all the things which they had seen, insomuch that the more part of the Lamanites were convinced of them, because of the greatness of the evidences which they had received." When I first read that I wondered why these people were told not to marvel. It wasn't until I was writing in my scriptures yesterday that I realized why. When you marvel you don't progress. You remain stuck in the past. These people were told not to marvel, and because they listened what did they do? They went out and told others of what had happened. I also think that sometimes when we marvel too much we do begin to doubt things that we saw/heard/felt for ourselves. Being a disciple of Christ is going and telling others the joy that comes with the knowledge of the gospel. Last week in church someone pointed out that we are part of the Restoration. It did not end when the church was restored. It did not end with the pioneers and persecution.We are living in the Restoration. I am so thankful that I am a part of it, and I hope that when I return to my Father in Heaven when He asks me what I did to help the work along I can tell Him I did something. "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...