Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother Dear, I Love You So

Today is Mothers' Day. I want to take a moment to recognize the amazing mom that I have in my life. She has been there for me any and every time that I needed her. She has cried and worried with me when I have been going through some of the toughest times, and she has smiled and rejoiced with me in the best times. I love her dearly. I remember picking flowers in the field for her when I was little. So many times I had to go back a second time because the flowers didn't make it to the house. I even remember trying to pick her a giant purple flower from a prickle plant. I came in crying, and she was there was a band aid  Thank goodness for Mom! Sister Beck gave a talk in conference called "Mothers Who Know." She gave seven things that mothers who know exemplify, and I believe my mom exemplifies all of them in her own special way.
Mothers who know bear children. My mom has two wonderful kids if I don't say so myself.
Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants. My mom always wanted my little brother and me to look our best in church. She honored the sacredness of going to church and being in the Lord's house. I also love when she goes to the temple, and you can see that she feels better when she gets back. Mothers who know are nurturers. My mom works five days a week. On Saturdays, she is always up early cleaning. That is cleaning day. Then on Sunday, she honors the Sabbath. She is such a wonderful example for me. I love how hard she works to make our home a house of order in which the Spirit can reside. Mothers who know are leaders. If my mom isn't a leader, then I do not know who is. She is a leader in so many aspects of her life, and I love her for it.
Mothers who know are teachers. My mom has taught me so much. Whether it was how to tie my shoe, read, put on mascara, or drive a car, my mom was right beside me helping me. Though it may have been stressful at times (like how every morning before school I would have her put on mascara on my left eye because I could not get it even though we were running late or when I ran up on the curb in the parking lot when I was first learning to drive), my mom powered through like a champ.
 Mothers who know do less. My mom is so busy. My grandma says she is always running, but even though she is busy, she always finds time to spend with Ryan and me. We always had family dinner together, she would take me places if she had to run and errand, and at night we would sit and watch a movie or TV show if time allowed. She put off other important things so she could spend time with me. I am thankful that she has shown me where priorities should be.
Mothers who know stand strong and immovable. My mom has a strong testimony of the gospel. I admire her for this. She goes to church whether she really wants to or not, she makes time to go to the temple, she fulfills her callings even though she may feel inadequate for them, and she loves working on family history.
I call my mom every day. Sometimes I go through the day wondering how I am going to have time to finish everything and talk to her, but I have come to realize that if I call her and take that time out of my day to talk to her, I always get my work done. She shows me so much love and makes me feel so much better on rough days. I love my momma. She is a strong, beautiful, wonderful example to have in my life.
Now, I also think that we have other mother figures in our lives, and I would also like to recognize a few of them in my life. My mom, and dad, have taught me everything I know, but these remarkable women reinforce things my parents have taught me making those stand out even more in my mind. First, I would like to recognize Lisa Hickman. Mrs. Lisa is the mom of my best friend. She has been there for me and my family since Ashley and I got close. She is a wonderful example of a person who consistently gives service to others and always shows a genuine love towards them. When driving in the minivan with the door I can never get open blasting "This One's For the Girls" or "Life is a Highway", going on campouts, having long talks in the car about literally anything and everything, lunches and shopping trips, and numerous sleepovers, she has shown me this love. It has truly been a blessing to have her in my life.
Next comes Cindy Bergquist. Sister Bergquist has been a wonderful example to me as well. I loved having her as a Young Women's President. I also loved getting to know her family. I had two of her kids as Sunday School teachers. She has taught me the importance of family in your life as well as how important teaching them the gospel. I spent a lot of time with her for a while. In one of the girls' camp picture slideshows they even put a picture of the two of us in the section with all of the mothers and daughters. It made me smile. I still love the few times I get to see her and the text messages I receive every once in a while. She can always bring a smile to my face.
Next is Julie Salhus, my government teacher from senior year in high school. Mrs. Salhus always looked out for me (I especially liked it when she moved Jared Carter to the other side of the room so I could still sit by my friends and not have to deal with him). She has taught me that hard work and determination always pay off, and she has never forgotten to tell me how proud she is of me.
Last but definitely not least is Angela Blomquist. Honestly, Angela terrified me when I first met her. She was full time staff at BYU making her really important. When Eric said I got my position as the Executive Assistant he asked if I knew her. I told him I knew who she was but didn't know her because she scared me so I had never talked to her. He then said I needed to meet her. He took me to her office and left me there. Alone! Anyways, we got to talking and we have been friends ever since. She is the one that I can always talk to no matter what is going on. Not only is her office open but her home is as well. We got to spend a ton of time together this past year in the BYUSA office and on the long drives to retreats. She is so much fun, and she is a beast at laser tag. A four-year-old can beat me, but you can bet her score will be at the top. She has been through a lot in her life, and she has come to teach me that no matter what trials you are faced with you can always pull through and be an amazing woman that can influence so many lives. I love my mom and these four women so much. I am who I am today because of them. I can only hope one day I will be a wonderful mom and exemplify the traits these amazing ladies have taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...