Saturday, March 16, 2013

Interview and Retreat

Let me just say that Friday did not start in the best way when I was still awake at two in the morning to receive a text telling me that they forgot to call me about my BYUSA interview and it was 3:30 that day. It continued to not be the best when I was still awake at three to respond to it and then stayed awake until six to continue to stress about it. I finally fell asleep at six but had to wake up at seven... After going to my classes, I had to come home to get a cold shower. I was burning hot from being so stressed. I called my mom and prayed everything would go well. As I walked into the office so did my friend Angela. She is so cute and she helped me calm down a little, but going into my interview, I was still shaking. I answered every question they threw at me well. The only problem was both of the people interviewing me acted like they thought I sat around and did nothing all day making me unqualified for the position. By the time I got out of there I was on the brink of tears from anxiety, and I was pretty mad. I talked to Eric about it who talked to Angela who went and talked to (reprimanded) the interviewers. Apparently they already have someone in mind (a friend) for the position. I probably will not get my BYUSA position, but I did everything in my power to be the best candidate for the position. Apparently it isn't who is the most qualified who gets the job. Oh well. In my brink of tears state, Austin noticed and asked if I wanted to feel better. I did of course, so he played a few hymns on his  guitar and sang along for me. It did bring a smile to my face. Later on, another girl the interviewers were rather rude to came out flustered. Austin and I walked up to her and just stayed in a group hug for a little while. I got multiple hugs throughout the day. Apparently I just looked distraught. I did not have much time to completely worry about it. I had a retreat to carry out. It was so much fun but kind of stressful in the beginning. As the night wore on, I felt better and better. Games, wonderful trainings, a good dinner, and only the best people to be surrounded by. At one point I ran upstairs to read my scriptures for five minutes. I came across the scripture Mosiah 8:18- "Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles, therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings." It is a miracle how involved I have become in BYUSA this year. I went from being the invisible girl to being the girl most people know. Then, right as I finished reading one of the committee members came and sat on the bed with me. She looked at me and told me that it was because of my warm smile, bright eyes, and beautiful personality that she became involved in BYUSA and felt like she belonged here at BYU. I love her. After another long hug, we went downstairs to join the party. We were about to do skits. My coordinator, Angela, and I were judges, and they were all so funny. They ranged from songs to impromptu to telling the truth and kind of making fun of all of the areas in the office. By the end Angela and I were gasping for air and were crying from laughing so hard. Then came the slideshow. We all curled up on the couches together and started at the beginning of our journey. By the end of that we once again had tears in our eyes but this time it wasn't from laughter. Our journey is coming to a close. For a few of us, that was our last retreat. To brighten the mood once again ice cream sandwiches and "Just Dance" were brought out. After watching Eric finally playing Just Dance at one in the morning I decided it was time for bed. My day had been full of mixed emotions. I decided it may have started out as badly as it possibly could but I would let it end in the best way possible. This morning I woke up early to make everyone breakfast, and we had one more training before it was time to leave. After talking to a friend from home and my mom and dad, taking a long nap, and writing my talk, I am turning in for the night. The time is far spent. I am done. Tomorrow starts a new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...