Friday, August 16, 2013

Mom May Question My Choices, but I Don't

My days have begun to run together even more than before now that summer is coming to a close. I will soon have to go and buy my textbooks, pay tuition, and go to renew my student ID. I continue to learn at work and may have a little (okay, a lot) of fun, but I am still an adventurer. I long to get out and try new things, have fun, and maybe have an adrenaline rush in the process. 
I actually went to Seven Peaks this week. It has been a long time. It was wonderful. Tuesday I was in a rotten mood. I don't know why, but even Mallory picked up on it when she got home from work. She went outside to paint and decorate a small movie set she needed for an international scavenger hunt she is doing. There was glitter involved, and I got showered in it. I am pretty sure heaven will have glitter. I was the happiest girl around being completely covered from head to toe in glitter. 
 
Wednesday I learned that I had to be out of my apt before Saturday morning. Considering I had things going on Thursday and Friday after work, I knew I needed to do it that night. So, I carried all of my things up the stairs making way too many trips but finally getting everything in my room. I woke up early Thursday morning to go to work. I was so sore! Work was great, but when it was over, the adventure began. I set off with Meghan and Julie Anne to Park City. It was on my summer bucket list to go, and I finally got to cross it off. We first went on the zipline. I will always love ziplining. Then to the Alpine Slide. We then made our way up and around the mountain to the ropes course. Remember how I told you I was sore from moving? I powered through the easier ropes course. Then, we decided to do the harder one. Holy cow. Every muscle in my body was crying in pain, but my face and heart were smiling. Swinging from rope to rope, walking on wires, and so much more made it all worth it. I love things like that! There is also what they call the Drop Tower there. You do a small zipline from one tower to another. Once on that second tower, the only way to get off is to free fall 65 feet. You just walk off the side of the tower (attached to a harness of course) and fall to the ground. I will admit, I almost killed the poor kid that was supposed to catch me. Oh well. After that we went on the zipline and slide one more time. Every penny was worth it. Adventure awaits. 
Then along came Friday. Sore muscles in tow, I went to work. This is what happened. According to Julie Anne's facebook post: "I think getting Taco Bell before Chick-fil-a may have been a little much." -Megan. That's how we do lunch on Fridays.
Yes, that is how we do lunch on Fridays. I love it when the office pays for lunch (it never happens apparently), and I think we deserved it after trying to organize the shared drive on the computer for the entire four hours we were there. Then my muscles and my brain hurt. I left work full of excitement. Alanna and I were going to the rope swings. Last time I went I loved it, but it was rainy and a little cold. Today was warm and sunny and I was so excited!!! Last time I only went on the lower platform. I jumped off that, a tree, the small rope, and the highest platform. The highest one made me want to pee my pants, and I let out a yelp when my arm got caught by the rope as I was falling into water more than 25 feet below me. 
I did it, it was a blast. Here is a video of other people doing it. Now you can see how high it is. I'm not exaggerating. 
I have some bumps, bruises, burns, and sore muscles from the past couple of days. I was talking to my mom and said, "I didn't die." Apparently I said that yesterday as well which she pointed out, and then said, "I'm beginning to question your choices." I honestly just want to have fun these last couple of weeks of my summer. Adventure awaits. 
Also, I just want to express my love for BYU. When I was leaving work the other day, Brother Cox, the associate dean of students, turned around saw me, and was like, "Hi, Megan! How are you? Are you taking classes this semester?" He knew me. Another day I ran into Dean Heperi. He is from New Zealand and the Dean of Students and the Associate Student Life Vice President. I smiled, said Kia Ora (pronounced key-ora). It is how you say hello in the Māori language. He taught us how to say it at FOL, and I only remember the word when I see him. He smiled back and wrapped me in a huge hug. One day on a run to the bookstore for work I ran into Vice President Scharman. She said hello to me calling me by name. I also saw President Samuelson today. I said hello to him, he gave me a thumbs up like he does in basketball games like such a good sport when we make free throws and yell, "Whoosh, Cecil!" He then talked to me like we were best friends. I love how the administration here remembers my name. I am not lost in the crowd of students. That is important to me. It can be hard being so far away from home, but these leaders on campus make my university a great place to call my second home. Thank you to Dean Heperi, Brother Cox, President Samuelson, Vice President Scharman, and all others at BYU for your wonderful leadership. I am thankful to be able to go to a university under you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...