Friday, August 23, 2013

The One About Being a Grown-up

There are days when you feel so grown-up. Like yesterday... I went to work, I spent time with a co-worker afterward just having fun. I picked up my textbooks for my classes this semester, I ran errands, and I got a new ID. Walking through the bookstore an older lady here for education week told me she loved my long hair absolutely loved the color. So cute. I love BYU because random people come to complement you all of the time. It makes you feel good when people do it to you and when you do it for others. It is times like these when you realize how much you really have changed since your freshman year. My short hair and baby face are things of the past. My fears of doing things alone, getting lost on campus, and not having my parents around are also long gone. I have learned how to live with people I don't know. I have actually gone on a few dates. I got involved on campus. I have a job. I can talk to random people without a second thought. My friends are getting married. My textbooks are more expensive. Friends from home are planning trips to come and see me at some point. I am so glad I have had the chance to grow up, and I love all of the fun times I have had on the way.
Two years ago, I came to BYU with my friend, Kaitlyn. Thank goodness I had her because that first year of being away from home was terrifying. When my parents told me to go into the room where they print your ID, I was scared because they would not be with me. They stood right outside, but I was still a nervous wreck going in there alone. This time I waltzed in like I owned the place. Getting to know my roommates was an adventure in and of itself. It turns out, I ended up loving them more than I ever thought I would when I stalked them on Facebook and drew my own conclusions from what I found. I mean look at us now! I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to live with them once again! Now, we are missing one... Do you know why? She is married! Yesterday she was the luckiest and is now living her happily ever after. Before the wedding I was super ornery, but when I saw how happy they were (even Emilee was amazingly happy with all of the stress of the wedding), I realized that it may have happened way too fast for my liking, but it was meant to be, and why waste time when you know you want to spend eternity with someone? Her and Ryan sure didn't! The reception was beautiful complete with doves, paper lanterns, crepes, and twinkle lights. Getting to see her in her princess gown and getting to take a picture with her and all of the roommates from freshman year (except Mak who came a little later), I just felt like this was right. I believe a congratulations is in order for Mrs. Emilee Draper! 
Getting home and having some girl talk with Meghan and Mak was the best. I miss my girls whether they are gone for a day or a whole semester. I really do love them. Going to work, I felt like it was so right. Nametag and BYU Alumni polo on, I looked official. I had better since I was the only one in the office today. Kind of scary and rough but I made through and felt empowered after. Last night during our girl talk, I decided I did need to be a real adult and go and talk with Andrew. We planned on going for frozen yogurt tonight. After work I stressed for a little bit about it, but I tried to not think about it too much. 5:15, the scheduled time, came and went, and he didn't tell me he was coming like he said he would. 5:30... 5:45... 6:00... 6:15. Then, I got the phone call. He had been held up at work. Again, I thought I needed to be an adult and forgive. We went and got some frozen yogurt. It was so awkward at first. Neither of us really knew what to say, but I realized both of us had changed, and after that we talked and laughed and everything seemed normal. I don't really know how I feel about all of it. It is so odd. At least now I can say that I talked to him and I won't feel weird when I run into him on campus or on one of the million trips to the BYUSA office I will have to make throughout the year. I am growing up. If you didn't notice by the ID picture, I hope when you talk to me you will recognize it. 
My summer is officially coming to a close. I bought my books, the sun is starting to disappear already, my tan lines are starting to fade, all of the roommates are back, and things are once again changing. FOL and NSO are next week. Am I ready? I don't know, but I am starting to get excited even though the freshmen participants have taken to comparing it to the Hunger Games. I'm a little worried, but I know it will be so much fun and the perfect spiritual lift.
 And, here is a little something for everyone's enjoyment. Here's to being a grown-up going into my junior/senior year of college.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..."
Galatians 5: 22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...