Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Seeing the Hand of God in Each Day

You know how sometimes you fight with yourself forever over whether you should go to something or not? Now, I will be the first to admit that does not apply to FHE for me, but it did apply to devotional today. All last night I thought about how much more time I would have to sleep and study if I didn't go. All this morning I thought about everything I could be doing. Then I remembered the goal I made at the beginning of the year. I made the goal that I was going to try to make it to every devotional. Thinking about that the whole way there, I decided I needed to go. You know how sometimes you feel like the speaker is talking to you? It happened at devotional. Two weeks ago we had a talk on optimism by a general authority. For some reason the speaker today chose to speak on the same subject. I needed it. The one two weeks ago did not really mean anything to me, but this one had me in tears. I woke up not in the greatest mood. The cold weather has brought on a weird pain in my right hand and elbow. It is not fun. I was just not in a good mood in general when I went to devotional. He talked about doing things that were pleasant and worthwhile, to take time to look for the good in the world. He also gave five tips on how to be positive in a negative world.
     1. Know that righteousness does not mean perfection
     2. Keep trying anyway
     3. Keep your focus on Heavenly Father
     4. Know that Heavenly Father's approval matters most
     5. Find and remember the joy in your life.
He said that when you have tears in your eyes and smiling is the best emotion in the world. When we look for the good in our lives we see how truly blessed we are and we are filled with gratitude and optimism.
Here are some of the quotes from my class today:

  •      If you are tired, God says, "I will give you rest."
  •      The only limitations on you and me are those we put on ourselves.
  •      Those who give when they have little are those who will give when they have a lot.
In devotional today, Brother Wilks also quoted D&C 123:17. It says," Therefore, dearly beloved brethren,  let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. He told us to look for the hand of God reaching out to help us each day. It was easy for me to see His hand in my life today. I went to a devotional that felt like it was meant for me, my class today was full of so many good laughs, and I got to talk to two of my FOL kids. They also played a wonderful hymn while we were all filing out of devotional which made my day even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Future with Hope

 Jeremiah 1:5 says - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, an...